<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

https://northernheads.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Northern Heads: Mother Whale Eyeless - Brian Eno

8.08.2010

Mother Whale Eyeless - Brian Eno

This is quite possibly one of if not THE greatest pop song of the latter half of the 20th century from the sprawling epochal concept album Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy (inspired by the Peking opera of the same name and particularly a set of 10 postcards depicting it's movements).



On the kit is Mr. Phil Collins who it is said was bestowed upon Mr. Eno as some sort of quid pro quo for some work he'd done for Genesis.



I can think of nowhere I would rather be 
Reading morning papers, drinking morning tea: 
She clutches the tray 
And then we talk just like a kitchen sink play 
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. 
Living so close to danger, 
Even your friends are strangers 
Don't count upon their company.

This is for the fingers, 
This is for the nails: 
Hidden in the kitchen, 
Right behind the scales. 
What do I care? 
I'm wasting fingers like I had them to spare, 
Plugging holes in the Zuider Zee. 
Punishing Paul for Peter, 
Don't ever trust those meters 
What you believe is what you see.

In my town, there is a raincoat under a tree. 
In the sky, there is a cloud containing the sea. 
In the sea, there is a whale without any eyes. 
In the whale, there is a man without his raincoat.

In another country, with another name 
Maybe things are different, maybe they're the same.

Back on the trail, 
The seven soldiers read the papers and mail 
But the news, it doesn't change. 
Swinging about through creepers, 
Parachutes caught on steeples 
Heroes are born, but heroes die. 
Just a few days, a little practice and some holiday pay, 
We're all sure you'll make the grade.
Mother of God, if you care, 
We're on a train to nowhere 
Please put a cross upon our eyes. 
Take me - I'm nearly ready, you can take me 
To the raincoat in the sky. 
Take me - my little pastry mother take me 
There's a pie shop in the sky


- all lyrics Brian Eno (and the universe)

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home